Thursday, March 20, 2014

I am back in the Comet with a new fit.

[Federation Navy Comet, B2 fast]
Magnetic Field Stabilizer II
Overdrive Injector System II
Small Ancillary Armor Repairer, Nanite Repair Paste
Damage Control II

1MN Afterburner II
Warp Scrambler II (not under fitting pressure)
Fleeting Propulsion Inhibitor I

Light Neutron Blaster II, Caldari Navy Antimatter Charge S
Light Neutron Blaster II, Caldari Navy Antimatter Charge S
Small Diminishing Power System Drain I

Small Hybrid Burst Aerator I
Small Hybrid Locus Coordinator I
Small Hybrid Ambit Extension I

Hobgoblin II x3
Warrior II x3

Because I fly solo (for now) I find that gank often outweighs tank. If I can get on top of an opponent with blasters they generally die fast. I think the 200mm plate on the Incursus is a good compromise because it is already a reasonably fast hull but I have found myself being outpaced by nano Firetails a lot in the Comet. I don’t like it. So this fit was designed to ensure range control for CNAM application but still have decent range with Null loaded (~3.5 + 4km for me). We’ll see. Rails would probably be better but I am in a blasty mood.

Of course, I didn’t find a Firetail but rather a Thrasher in a plex. So in I go to have a look. I have been wanting to practice spiralling in against an arty opponent lately and I think I probably have the speed and reps to escape an auto Thrasher if he is sitting on zero.

Sure enough, he is sitting at about 50. I align away from him, cruising without prop. He start to approach cautiously but cunningly keeps his speed in the afterburner range. But I am not fooled, not one bit. This is an MWD arty Thrasher and he will target me any second now. Yep, 40km and there’s the yellow box.

38 km and I turn to about 40 degrees from his direction and hit the overheated afterburner. He chose exactly the same time to pick up speed and the distance drops quickly. His first volley drops half my shields at 20 km and I hit approach to close the gap. Probably a mistake but borderline call? After all, I really need to land a scram or it’s all over anyway. And if I DO land a scram, it’s all over too.

I start the reps. I web (overheated) at 13km. When distance hits 10km I hit the scram. It doesn’t land. And he is now moving away quickly under MWD. I get blapped.

http://eve.battleclinic.com/killboard/killmail.php?id=20836937

And then on the killmail I notice I had a lower meta scram fitted. I don’t know how that happened but it could have made the difference. Also, if I had burned away at ~45 degrees to start I might have caught him because of my superior agility. I want to try that again! I’m sure I’ll get a chance - there’s certainly no lack of Thrashers around here.

Oh well - win some, lose some.

No comments:

Post a Comment