Thursday, March 20, 2014

Anyone who looks over my killboard will see that I only tend to post fights that I find interesting in some way. There are many fights where I just warp into a site, blap someone, and warp out. Usually a Rifter or a low skill noob in some other T1 ship. (I wish the Rifter was a bit stronger.)

Similarly, many of my losses are not too interesting either but I don’t want to give anyone thinking of coming to faction warfare regions the wrong idea. You will die. A lot. If this is a problem for you, I suggest an introductory course of twenty cheaply-fit T1 frigates. Go and lose them all. You need to get over the initial shock to be able to disconnect yourself from your ship. And don’t be afraid to warp into a situation that you are really unsure about.

For example, I sometimes make a few brief notes about a fight that I want to write up and then come back later to fill in the gaps. This time I just wrote: “Loss to Cormorant of Rainbow Child. Whelped.” Um, that pretty much summed it up. I had wanted to see how a Comet would do against a hybrid weapon destroyer so I warped in to him at a plex and found out pretty quickly. I landed on him at zero and he just demolished me. Most unceremonious.

And then you have completely stupid moments. The other day I was feeling under the weather but decided to log in anyway. I left the station in my Incursus, warped to a Merlin in a plex and was promptly scram/webbed. I then realised I didn’t have a drone. Or any nanite paste loaded into my repper (that AAR...) You can guess the rest.

Next on the list was a loss to an Atron. I warped into him deliberately, wanting to practice slingshotting him into scram range. It didn’t work. I don’t like Atrons very much. They remind me of Condors.

So I die a lot. Admittedly not as much as I used to but I have come to realise that a long winning streak generally means that you are only using your ship as a hard counter to a very select group of targets. And that just gets boring.

No comments:

Post a Comment