Thursday, March 20, 2014

Blasty Comet vs Kestrel + Merlin = ??? What do you think? I didn’t have a clue but warped in anyway of course.

[Federation Navy Comet, Blasty Comet]
Magnetic Field Stabilizer II
200mm Reinforced Rolled Tungsten Plates I
Small Ancillary Armor Repairer, Nanite Repair Paste
Damage Control II

1MN Afterburner II
Initiated Harmonic Warp Scrambler I
X5 Prototype Engine Enervator

Light Neutron Blaster II, Caldari Navy Antimatter Charge S
Light Neutron Blaster II, Caldari Navy Antimatter Charge S
[empty high slot]

Small Hybrid Burst Aerator I
Small Hybrid Collision Accelerator I
[empty rig slot]

Hobgoblin II x3

I jumped into the system and saw a couple of plexes out of d-scan range. As I warped to my central safe I leisurely looked up the two other capsuleers in the system. Same corp, one top ranked. Hmm… Kestrel in the Novice, Merlin in the Small.

I warped into the Merlin who scarpered as soon as I landed. Fair enough, I thought. But I suspected they would bite at a 2v1 so I immediately warped to the Small plex.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqnBCAX8QCA

Sure enough, just as the acceleration gate shot me off into the plex I saw the Merlin appear on short-scan. OK, I have about 20 seconds with the Kestrel before company arrives!

I lock him up, approach, orbit at 500 and waste the mandatory 10 seconds before remembering my drones. I really have to stop flying Gallente. The Kestrel’s shields disappear and I volley through his armour and hull just as the Merlin lands and starts burning towards me. Wow, he really went down fast after the shield.

At this point, I am under about 40% armour and half the nanite charges left in my AAR (and yes, I remembered to turn off auto-reload this time). I charge in behind my drones, quickly eating up the 5km between us with an overheated afterburner and am watching his shields drop when I hear a most alarming noise. Structure! And no nanite charges left in the repper! And no drugs!

Well bugger it, I’m not backing out now. I watch desperately as my hull is rapidly eaten away and his shields never seem to end. I hit half structure just as he hits armour and I am not at all confident about being able to wait out the armor and hull…and then I blap him out in a single cycle!

The fight ends. Two frigates down and 25% structure to go. Fantastic! Could have taken on a third! Well, almost. :)

This fight made me think about the different racial tanking styles. It is deeper than just shield vs armour with the hull on Gallente ships actually being a pretty decent tank. I think my Comet has 900-something HP in the hull alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment