Thursday, June 26, 2014

If I ever have a nemesis...

If I ever decide to have a nemesis, it will be Patrick Kasper, my first ever killer:

Incursus: http://eve.battleclinic.com/killboard/killmail.php?id=18739317
Pod: http://eve.battleclinic.com/killboard/killmail.php?id=18739318

In my earliest of RvB days I spotted a suspect frigate on the gate in Nomaa. "I'll have him!", I thought. It didn't end well. I was such a noob that I hadn’t even read the “You should never get your pod killed” lecture. Anyway, things have changed somewhat and I thought it was about time to get into cruisers. As beginner’s luck would have it I found a Vexor ratting in a belt as soon as I undocked:

Vexor: http://eve.battleclinic.com/killboard/killmail.php?id=23065307

Sure, an interesting kill with those faction smartbombs but not exactly the next peak of PvP experience that I was hoping for. I didn't even have to turn my repper on.

Anyway, the next time I set out I was determined to find a worthy adversary for my Thorax:

[Thorax, Zappity’s brawly Thorax]

Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane II
Medium Armor Repairer II
Damage Control II
800mm Reinforced Rolled Tungsten Plates I
Medium Armor Repairer II

Fleeting Propulsion Inhibitor I
Faint Epsilon Warp Scrambler I
Medium Electrochemical Capacitor Booster I, Cap Booster 800
10MN Afterburner II

Heavy Electron Blaster II
Heavy Electron Blaster II
Heavy Electron Blaster II
Heavy Electron Blaster II
Heavy Electron Blaster II

Medium Anti-Explosive Pump I
Medium Auxiliary Nano Pump I
Medium Ancillary Current Router I

Is that a good fit? Eh, I dunno. Whatever. The idea was to get under the guns of the opposition and stay there until he wilted pathetically under my deadly fire. Or something like that.

It took me nearly an hour to find a suitable fight. I almost snared a Vexor in Asakai but he ran away. And when I followed him to the sun he ran away again. I took the hint, if only because I wasn't agile enough tto catch him. Then I found a Stabber Fleet Issue who also snubbed me. So I continued south, heading toward the Min/Amarr zone. Actually, I was hopeful that the intervening non-FW space would be more fruitful for solo cruisers.

I successfully avoided a gate camp at Nisuwa by waiting a moment for the inty and Curse to jump ahead of me. The Rupture and Stabber who stayed behind foolishly neglected to lock me until they saw me aligning out. Ha! Suckers! But it did force me to detour, so I headed back on a circuit through Stay Frosty's old stomping ground of Hevrice.

And then i found a lone Moa piloted by a Tusker. Now, I know that Moa's have a reputation for a fearsome tank. I also know that Tuskers are typically pretty damn good. But I was desperate after nearly an hour of roaming and would happily have taken on a gang of the things. So I scanned him down to a belt whilst in warp to a Medium plex that I opened just to give him the idea. I then warped to his belt and landed just as he entered warp. He was heading for the plex. Fight!

Scram, web, orbit at 500, overheat guns, start killing. It all went (surprisingly) according to plan. For a while. What an astonishing tank he had! My cap boosters were going strong and my reppers were keeping up with the damage until they started getting too hot. After I switched the heat off I was no longer able to handle it and was slowly broken down.

I had him down to about 1/3 shields when I died. Sigh. Very disappointing. But very fun!

Loss: http://eve.battleclinic.com/killboard/killmail.php?id=23108370

I'll play around with some more fits. I want more gank. And tank. How hard can it be? Below is probably the Moa fit. We chatted for a while after the fight and he mentioned three extender rigs and an invul:

Moa (probably): http://eve.battleclinic.com/killboard/killmail.php?id=22221287

While we were chatting I realised that his name was familiar. And then I remembered! Patrick Kasper! My first loss! I linked the lossmail and we had a chuckle about my first ever loss. I'm glad the fit wasn't too atrocious, even though I never fly dual rep Incursus now. Props - it was a good fight.

I want more. Cruisers, here I come.

No comments:

Post a Comment