Thursday, April 23, 2015

Kill on Sight!

A thread invited pilots to go and enjoy the Providence life, although the timing of this was suspiciously close to the arrival of FozzieSov. Out of curiosity, I checked my status on the list which defined which pilots are permitted to enter this land flowing in bounties and loot drops.

Kill on Sight! But I had never even been to Providence! Why did they set me KOS? Discrimination! Meanness! This injustice could not go unanswered. I vowed that I would not rest until I had wreaked my revenge upon this discriminatory brood. Or until I got bored.

I hitched up my gank Stratios, reassigned Innocent Scout from her POS hunting duties, and headed for Providence. What could possibly go wrong? Anyway, I had become bored with POS hunting after breaking through the 50b barrier.

The region of Providence is surprisingly straightforward to get into. There are some nice highsec and lowsec gates, although the entry closest to Amarr was predictably camped when I arrived.

A few jumps in I came across a lonely Cyclone, ratting in a belt. Innocent Scout located him on the probes and warped Zappity in. Aha! My first victim! Of course, I used the wrong drones (Berserkers) which the Minmatar shield was naturally tanked against. But it didn't matter, probably because the ship was piloted by a new character who refused to give me a gf.

Cyclone: https://zkillboard.com/kill/46138226/
Pod: https://zkillboard.com/kill/46138254/

A couple of jumps further and I found a Raven sitting in an anomaly, greedily dispatching rats. This guy was actually awake and warped out before I had a chance to snare him. Hmm. I exited the system and sent Innocent Scout to market to collect a 200mm plate and scram.

When she returned, Zappity waited on the gate while Innocent jumped through and rapidly scanned down the Raven. She landed on top of him and immediately went into a tight orbit around the tackled battleship. Zappity jumped in and warped, landing her own scram just in time for Innocent to scarper, deep in armour.

Unfortunately, that is where the good news ended. The Stratios could not break the Raven's active shield tank. So off I went in a huff, forgetting my drones just to add insult to injury.

I pondered this unfair situation. What I needed, I decided, was some neuting power to switch off that active tank. I fit a few neuts, tailored my resists to Sanshas profile, and headed back. Of course, it was too much to expect that the Raven would still be waiting for me. But he was! Innocent again landed tackle but this time was popped before she could make her escape. Sigh. I forgot about that Sisters' probe launcher.

Zappity began applying the deeps. Things worked better this time and the Raven's shield was nibbled away until only half remained. I figured that the neuts were doing their job. And then he repped all the way back up.

Bugger. Either he was cap injected or the Stratios neuts just weren't up to the job. And now the Stratios was in low armour, getting the attention of both the Raven and the rats. And he was killing my poor drones. So I ran away, humiliated. Oh well. Some you win, some you lose. I gave him a gf and went on my way.

Time for the big guns. Zappity gave her cousin in marketing a call. Despite his typically deskbound profession, Zappity's cousin in marketing flies a mean neuting Legion. It wasn't long before Zappity's Stratios was again sporting maximum firepower, this time backed up by a nice rack of neuts.

Innocent jumped through the gate. Sabre! Well, that's alright. I know how to get away from them (most of the time). However, Zappity forgot to cancel her jump and, like a noob, hopped straight through into the bubble. By this time a Worm, a Svipul and an assortment of destroyers had joined the Sabre. These Provi types are damnably sneaky. I crashed the gate with heated afterburner. Just in time!

While licking my wounds with a mobile depot and armour reppers I valiantly decided to go the other way. Happily, this took me in the direction of a nice little dead end constellation which appeared to have a light dusting of NPC kills. Two systems in I was greeted by "Zappity red" flashing up in local.

Not wanting to be rude, I responded by saying hello while Innocent finished scanning down the Prophecy and initiated warp. The two cruisers landed 20km away from him. For some reason he was burning away from the anomaly but not warping off to safety.

The Legion jumped on him and landed a scram and web before applying the neuts. Unfortunately, Zappity was fit with an afterburner and couldn't get close enough to apply any blaster damage. But the drones did a good enough job from a distance:

Prophecy: https://zkillboard.com/kill/46144917/
Pod: https://zkillboard.com/kill/46144936/

I think he was AFK. I didn't see any armour reps.

While I was busy killing him one of the locals (one of the awake ones) politely enquired as to the reason for my presence. He informed me that my actions would result in my entire alliance being set red. Zappity's diplomatic career was evidently about to commence! I couldn't manage to get too worked up about this, figuring that the alliance not already being red was probably some sort of oversight that really ought to be corrected.

Still, not wishing to pass up the opportunity to learn about my new holiday home, I asked what Provi life was like. I asked about whether defence fleets were often run. I asked whether there was a lot of PvP action or whether it was mostly a PvE region. They declined to comment, telling me I was trolling.

To be honest, the principle behind Provi is quite appealing. Defending against the big bad blue donut seems a worthy goal. Unfortunately, I doubt that Zappity will be welcome for quite some time.

But they started it by setting me KOS!

No comments:

Post a Comment