Tuesday, April 7, 2015

2b or not 2b, that is the question!

I had a bad cold last week and spent many hours in front of the computer, scanning monotonously. I found 69 offline Starbases and declared war on 64 of their owners (that's right, there are none left for you - sorry about that) at a cost of just over 3.2b. The remaining corps belonged to big nullsec alliances and were too expensive to war dec.

On reflection, I should have kept accurate records but I can still give you the high level results. Around 15-20% of the POS owners woke up and either cleaned up or defended their assets. I warped into two of the Russian corps to find their newly reinstated forcefields filled to the brim with angry looking PvP ships. They were rather defensive. Five or six corps invited allies, three of which were mercenary corps. These were amongst the percentage who defended their POS.

But what about the haul? About a quarter of the starbases which remained offline were virtually empty and either resulted in a loss or barely broke even. As for the remainder, the most lucrative setups were, of course, the capital component blueprint research starbases. I only found two of these but they still netted me 7b between them.

I found an awful lot of other BPOs along with lots of T2 and T3 BCPs and countless T1 BPCs which I didn’t bother taking. I became very incensed with people who had not yet researched their BPOs to 10/20 because these are much easier to sell. It is just laziness, really, and should be remedied before I come to visit in future.

I have not yet taken the trouble of valuing the non-capital blueprints but you can get an idea from perusing the list (https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=5637147) in the Sell Orders thread. I netted 32b in readily liquidated, non-blueprint, assets. This mostly took the form of T2 production materials, datacores and ships.

Actually, the Ship Maintenance Arrays were disappointing on the whole, with only three dropping something interesting. And one of them dropped a Skiff which none of my pilots could fly! But I was more than recompensed by a nice POS in Domain which contained an Orca, two Hulks and this ridiculous two billion ISK Tengu:

[Tengu, Ridiculous Tengu]
'Cartel' Power Diagnostic System I
Caldari Navy Ballistic Control System
Caldari Navy Ballistic Control System
Caldari Navy Ballistic Control System

Pith B-Type Shield Boost Amplifier
Pith X-Type Shield Boost Amplifier
Pithum A-Type Medium Shield Booster
Caldari Navy Adaptive Invulnerability Field
Dread Guristas EM Ward Field
Pith X-Type Thermic Dissipation Field

Caldari Navy Heavy Missile Launcher
Caldari Navy Heavy Missile Launcher
Caldari Navy Heavy Missile Launcher
Caldari Navy Heavy Missile Launcher
Caldari Navy Heavy Missile Launcher
Caldari Navy Heavy Missile Launcher

Medium Capacitor Control Circuit II
Medium Capacitor Control Circuit I

Tengu Electronics - Dissolution Sequencer
Tengu Defensive - Amplification Node
Tengu Engineering - Augmented Capacitor Reservoir
Tengu Offensive - Accelerated Ejection Bay
Tengu Propulsion - Intercalated Nanofibers

The other interesting SMA dropped an Obelisk which was no doubt used to bring in the 550m worth of materials in the Corporate Hangar Array along with a 10/20 Covetor BPO. The CHA drops were highly variable, ranging from virtually nothing to enormous quantities of tritanium.

The biggest disappointment was the Hyasyoda Research Laboratory. These were initially very exciting for me and the first thing I tended to crack open but not a single one dropped anything. However, setups which contained a Hyasyoda lab often had tasty blueprints in the invention or copy labs. I guess they had finished researching but had not yet taken down the array. Fatal error!

I also found a POS dedicated to the production of Light Neutron Blaster IIs. I doubt that many industrialists will mourn the passing of that one! Did you lose a production facility by any chance, CODE?

The response from the absentee owners was rather muted. I guess that many of them have yet to learn of their fate. However, five owners did contact me by mail a few days after the heist. One took it in his stride and was quite reasonable about the whole thing. Another was quite miffed about the whole situation and sent me a demand for 2b (presumably the merc fee) along with prognostications of doom and disaster for my good self if I failed to cough up the dough. I replied to his friendly offer with the words, ‘2b or not 2b, that is the question!. And the answer is, of course, no!’

The remaining owners, however, represented a most astounding coincidence: all three let their POS run out of fuel only because they were in hospital. The subtext here was, “Please give my stuff back.” However, my attitude tended towards disbelief when all three represented themselves as alt corps of large and powerful nullsec entities who would make my life miserable if I did not return the loot.

I have very little sympathy for these corps. If you wish to reap the substantial benefits of an industry POS then you must accept the possibility of losing it should you be careless enough to let it run out of fuel. I hope this risk/reward balance remains with the new structures.

No comments:

Post a Comment