Monday, October 6, 2014

Tinkering with the Thorax

I have been having some more fun with the Thorax. I spied another Thorax in system and managed to lure him to my plex. Joining him against my lone cruiser was a second Thorax, and Exequror and a Cormorant. Not one to complain, I aligned away from the plex and locked the first guy. The rest were waiting outside the plex, presumably thinking that I didn’t know what dscan was.

When he was in armour the others landed and the Thorax started getting reps. I was watching the other ships, wary of a brawler trying to scram me. Sure enough, the second Thorax started moving in my direction. I was about to warp away when I noticed that the reps to my enemy had stopped. I wondered if this was a multiboxer who was too distracted to operate his logi boat properly. He was just outside of point range so I turned around. I was carefully watching the second Thorax who was rapidly approaching from 50km.

Before long my target was in hull and dropping fast, still not getting reps. I now needed to decide whether to run from the second Thorax or finish the first guy off. You will be shocked to learn that I decided to finish him off. Definitely multiboxing - he wasn’t even pointed when he popped thanks to the nasty scram on the second ship.

Thorax: http://eve.battleclinic.com/killboard/killmail.php?id=23805807

I died soon after of course, webbed and scrammed. But never mind - let that be a lesson to him. In retrospect, I reckon I should have done better in this fight. If I was better at kiting (and more patient) I probably would have been able to pull them apart a bit.

But the main thing is that I didn’t want that Thorax anyway because I have a new fit to try :)

[Thorax, 200mm kite]

Damage Control II
Magnetic Field Stabilizer II
Magnetic Field Stabilizer II
Tracking Enhancer II
Nanofiber Internal Structure II

Experimental 10MN Microwarpdrive I
Small Capacitor Booster II, Navy Cap Booster 400
Large Shield Extender II
Warp Disruptor II

200mm Railgun II, Caldari Navy Antimatter Charge M
200mm Railgun II, Caldari Navy Antimatter Charge M
200mm Railgun II, Caldari Navy Antimatter Charge M
200mm Railgun II, Caldari Navy Antimatter Charge M
200mm Railgun II, Caldari Navy Antimatter Charge M

Medium Hybrid Locus Coordinator I
Medium Hybrid Locus Coordinator I
Medium Ancillary Current Router I

Warrior II x5
Hornet EC-300 x5

This is similar to the 250mm fit but instead uses the T2 shield extender (cheaper and more EHP), 200mm railguns and two locus coordinator rigs to extend their range. This sacrifices the agility rig compared to the 250mm fit but gains a lot of tracking with the smaller 200mm rails and almost the same range. The DPS is slightly lower but I reckon this will be accounted for in better hits when the targets are closer. We’ll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment