Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Baiting a highsec bear

The astute reader (that’s you) would have noticed that my stories tend to be a few weeks out of date. This is because my playing time is irregular and I try to do my best to keep you entertained with at least a modicum of regularity. But you will also have noticed that Zappity is currently a shameful NPC poster. This deserves some immediate explanation.

Things had become a bit stale for me in lowsec (entirely my fault - I am lazy) and I had a growing desire to visit RvB in highsec. You might remember that I started this character in RvB before diving into lowsec. It was great fun and a good way to get used to the initial PvP shakes. I found myself wondering how accurate my recollections from that time were now that I have a little more experience.

I left a note on the Stay Frosty forums (because I was sure I will be back before too long - it is a truly magnificent corp for, amongst other types, the casual solo and small gang player) and clicked Apply on Blue Republic, which had fewer members than Red Federation.

At this point I have to give serious props to CCP for the tags for sec feature. A few short jumps from Jita and 250m isk (or thereabouts - I wasn't paying much attention) later, I had jumped from -9.0 to 0.5. I wanted that extra bit of buffer above -2.0 because you never know when the urge to commit a crime will become overwhelming.

I’ll post more about my short RvB adventures later but in brief, I got bored again and decided to give wormhole life a try. Thinking that my clones all looked far too shiny for space with bubbles I trained up Advanced Infomorph Whatsit a few points and hopped into EACS to drop a few new clones around the map.

And here I am, kicked from EACS after the allotted time and awaiting acceptance to Stay Frosty’s sibling wormhole corp. It is taking a while. Maybe I am a security risk.

But before we return to scheduled programming, here is a highsec story. I decided to take advantage of Zappity’s newly acquired security status by baiting some mission runners. Sounds like a job for the Incursus! I figured that the T1 frigate was not going to be threatening for your average highsec bear and the reps are very impressive.

[Incursus, Zappity’s dual rep v1]

Small Armor Repairer II
Small Armor Repairer II
Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane II
Damage Control II

1MN Afterburner II
Small Capacitor Booster II, Navy Cap Booster 150
Faint Epsilon Warp Scrambler I

Light Ion Blaster II, Void S
Light Ion Blaster II, Void S
Light Ion Blaster II, Void S

Small Anti-Explosive Pump I
Small Auxiliary Nano Pump I
Small Hybrid Burst Aerator I

Acolyte II x1

Now, before we go any further please note that this fit didn’t actually work so please watch for revisions.

Zappity and Innocent Scout made their way to the nearest NPC kill-rich system. Gnosis on dscan - good enough. I renamed by Incursus to the not-so-subtle “Loot Sweet Loot” and was soon in warp.

The Gnosis character was from 2007 and showed his confidence by yellow boxing me as soon as I landed in his mission. Two seconds after I looted the nearest wreck he red-boxed me! We’re on! I angled in under afterburner and was soon in a tight orbit. His drones and the nasty NPCs were both hitting me pretty hard and by the time I reached him a decent chunk was missing from my armour. I activated the reps which I really should have just started immediately and spent the next five minutes managing cap, reps and drone targets.

I was at a slight disadvantage because I had lost my overviews with the recent Hyperion patch and had forgotten to set up a Drones tab. But that was not the fault of my opponent. The Gnosis and the NPCs managed to get into my hull at one point, so most of the fight was spent with the Incursus wrapping a smoky trail around the Gnosis.

Things finally settled down after all his drones were dead. So I settled down for the long haul, plinking away at his passive shield tank. Unfortunately, my opponent was wise to the ways of the highsec mission baiter and continued killing the NPCs to reduce the incoming damage.

It soon became clear that I wasn’t going to be able to break his tank, especially since my guns were already crispy from earlier overheating. I stopped firing and tried to repair them only to realise that I didn’t have any nanite paste in the hold. What a noob. I toyed with the idea of getting Innocent Scout to drop some off but thought better of it and, instead, started up a ransom convo!

I felt a bit bad about that because there was no way I could have actually killed him and my threats about being satisfied with the killmail if my demands were not met were quite empty. Regardless, he bit on the offer and we negotiated the princely sum of 40m. He paid and I immediately warped away. We chatted for a while longer and I confessed that I might not have been able to break through his regen. He agreed but said that I had done so well to manage his drones (with a smoking hull, what’s more) that I deserved a reward. I agree!

That was a lot of fun but I suspect it was a case of beginner’s luck with how easy it was to get a rise out of my target. And I clearly need more DPS. Props to Quathette for taking the fight - good stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment