Sunday, August 10, 2014

Learning more about cruisers

I'm back in the Thorax, looking for someone to kill. There are a surprising number of cruisers about but the only solo ones I see are navy or faction. I'm starting to see a trend here. Finally, I get sick of hunting and foolishly engage a Vexor Navy Issue. I died in about 10 seconds, despite having both reppers overheated.

It was a useful fight. I reviewed the logs and figured out what went wrong: his heavy drones broke straight through my reps. Insane DPS. I want some! So I fired up PYFA (I converted from EFT a while ago) and played around.

Well, for a start my Heavy Drones skill is rubbish. But that, evidently, is what Geckos are for! +600 DPS is quite achievable. But it still doesn't overcome the problem of the nasty suspicious and deceitful minds that my fellow lowsec denizens tend to have. They won't want to engage a Vexor Navy Issue because a) they will lose, and b) they will suspect reinforcements.

So I bought a few Stratios hulls. And promptly lost the first one to a gate camp when my stupid Function key wasn't enabled on the keyboard. I was still uselessly jamming F6 to try and cloak when they broke me. Actually, I often do that with F1 at the start of a fight and then notice that my guns aren't doing anything. Maybe I should get a different keyboard. Or just remember to press the button. Or use a scout when flying an expensive ship.

Anyway, the fit:

[Stratios, Zappity’s cloaky gank v1]

1600mm Reinforced Rolled Tungsten Plates I
Damage Control II
Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane II
Drone Damage Amplifier II
Drone Damage Amplifier II

Faint Epsilon Warp Scrambler I
Stasis Webifier II
Stasis Webifier II
Experimental 10MN Microwarpdrive I
10MN Afterburner II

Covert Ops Cloaking Device II
Heavy Electron Blaster II, Caldari Navy Antimatter Charge M
Heavy Electron Blaster II, Caldari Navy Antimatter Charge M
Heavy Electron Blaster II, Caldari Navy Antimatter Charge M
Heavy Electron Blaster II, Caldari Navy Antimatter Charge M

Medium Anti-Explosive Pump I
Medium Trimark Armor Pump I
Medium Trimark Armor Pump I

Gecko x2
Nanite Repair Paste x50

DPS is about 170 from guns and 500 from drones with my skills. 42k EHP.

The next time I took one out I remembered to turn the Function keys on. I made it a few jumps out of Ish when I spotted a Caracal, Arbitrator and Firetail on scan. Even better, a corpie, Spocria Charante, was in system  his rail Comet (a marvelous ship, by the way).

They were loitering at the Large plex. I must admit to being a bit nervous! But this is exactly what I had bought the bloody thing for so what the hell. Anyway, Spocria is apparently an avid reader of the thread and was evidently waiting for me to do something. Then he said that the thread was part of the reason he moved to lowsec (op success) and before I knew it I was in cloaked warp, range 50km.

I landed about 15km from the Arbitrator with the Firetail about 40 away, close to the beacon. The Caracal had disappeared which suited me just fine since I was a bit worried about multiple webs forcing me out of electron range.

I approached the Arbitrator. At about 12km I decloaked, hit the MWD for a single cycle and locked him up. I then switched to afterburner and went into a close orbit.

I immediately saw that he was fit with double reps. Oh well, let's see how it goes. The scram and double web combination held him tightly enough that my Geckos were able to hit hard. Sure enough, I was able to chew his hull away between rep cycles and after what felt like hours but in reality was just under one minute, he popped.

Arbitrator: http://eve.battleclinic.com/killboard/killmail.php?id=23402967

By this time the Firetail had closed and was doing something nasty to me (to be honest I had been pretty much ignoring him up to now apart from locking him). So I switched everything to him. He died really fast.

Firetail: http://eve.battleclinic.com/killboard/killmail.php?id=23402968
And then Spocria podded him! https://zkillboard.com/kill/40149608/

I warped out just after the Caracal landed. Stealth gank! I wonder if I could have killed him, too? But let's not get greedy on the first outing. Also, shouldn’t that Arbitrator have had a tracking disruptor? Was it a rubbish fit? I checked in EFT and was comforted to see that, despite the anti-frigate high slots, it had a decent active tank - it repped hard at nearly 500 dps with the nanite charges in the AAR.

And now I am left to ponder my own fit. First, do I need dual prop? In retrospect it seems somewhat pointless in lowsec since the cloak can get me to the edge of scram range and there are no bubbles. Maybe I'll drop the MWD for a cap booster in case of neuting. Or maybe a drone tracking whatsit.

And what about the double web? I like the idea of being able to control the range of a couple of ships, at least partially. I also like being able to get under the guns of my target by orbiting. But most cruisers will be MWD fit so the scram plus a web would take care of that. And come to think of it, I can probably fit Ions on instead of Electrons.

To the test server!

No comments:

Post a Comment