Friday, June 20, 2014

Catching a sleepy Worm

I logged in and spent a few minutes lazily wandering from system to system in my Comet until someone posted in fleet chat that there was a Worm in Uuna, one system over. I was naturally interested given the recent buff, thinking that a lot of incompetent pilots would be trying them out. Unfortunately, when I jumped into Uuna I was dismayed to see that the Worm was sneakily hidden at a safe spot. I decided to bring a probing alt in.

Now, I used to play around in wormholes so I understand (more or less) how these things work. But I am terribly rusty. I’ll include the times to give you a chuckle.

[22:47:24] Cervantes Marovinjun d-scanned him to somewhere near Station V. I brought my alt in, added him to fleet, warped to a safe after dropping my probes, clustered them on Planet V and hit scan. Damn! 97%! I quickly reduced range and scanned again.

[22:51:31] I warped to the hit and saw the Worm 100km away, burning at 3km/s. Bugger. But hang on, he’s aligned to the sun!

This is where is gets embarrassing. It took me FIVE MINUTES to land a decent short bookmark. I am really out of practice. For those of you who don’t know what I mean this is the practice of warping back to a bookmark from the aligned celestial. You can either land at 100km range (of limited value when the target is moving quickly) or drop a bookmark while you are slowing from warp.

[22:56:35] The Worm is burning straight for my cloaked Cheetah, 100km away. I started the warp to the Cheetah, only to see him 34km away. In the wrong direction. I had miscalculated how long it would take me to drop out of warp and he just burned past my warp in.

There may have been a mild obscenity uttered at this point. I warped Zappity away and started again. The good news was that the guy was clearly AFK and oblivious to my bumbling attempt to snare him.

[23:01:22] Deleted the wrong bloody bookmark, didn’t I! Let’s try again.

[23:02:16] Yeah, that’s how it’s done. Less than a minute this time. I’m on grid and back in the groove! Get ready for the www guys!

[23:02:25] 150km off and burning in fast. Zappity enters warp. Cheetah leaves grid. Zappity lands with the Worm 45km off but heading straight in at 3km/s. “www”, I type.

I barely have time to overheat everything when he hits 10km. Scram! Web! Guns! Drones! By the time the first corpie lands on grid he is already in hull so I stop my damage, figuring that they had been very patient and deserved something for their trouble:

Worm: https://zkillboard.com/kill/39375882/
Pod: https://zkillboard.com/kill/39375891/

The pod wasn’t too expensive. But it wasn’t too cheap, either. Whew, what a rush! VERY satisfying to finally get it right! I don’t think that he will be very happy when he gets back to his keyboard, do you? But a 2011 character should know better than to be a) AFK, and b) aligned for a celestial. So there. Actually, I’m going to add that to the lecture!

No comments:

Post a Comment