Monday, March 30, 2015

Loot piñatas

A post on the ABA forums declared that Watson Crick, an ex-Frostian, was flogging off flipping great wodges of blueprints. It was inferred that these were ill-gotten, thieved from POSs. The list was impressive with the market value of the unresearched variants at about 5b.

Naturally, I had to get me some of that.

I dreamt of finding a lonesome highsec tower with floating labs and assembly arrays and hangar arrays and, well, something quite like this short-range dscan result:

Caldari Control Tower
Experimental Laboratory
Corporate Hangar Array
Corporate Hangar Array
Design Laboratory
Research Laboratory
Research Laboratory
Research Laboratory
Design Laboratory
Research Laboratory
Research Laboratory
Research Laboratory
Research Laboratory
Research Laboratory
Component Assembly Array
Component Assembly Array
Component Assembly Array
Component Assembly Array
Component Assembly Array
Component Assembly Array
Equipment Assembly Array
Subsystem Assembly Array

Oh look, no forcefield.

And the 45 defensive modules, beautifully arranged around the tower? Well, they would have been quite a deterrent if they had been online. But they were ‘Anchored’, meaning offline. My F1 finger trembled but even I know that you can’t just shoot somebody’s POS in highsec without incurring the just wrath of CONCORD. So instead, I read up on war dec mechanics.

They seemed quite straightforward, at least at a high level: 50 m ISK per week unless the member count is greater than 50, in which case it goes up. But that didn’t matter since I was hardly going to target a large, active corp.

I pressed the button, parted with my 50 m and waited impatiently for 24 hours. When I logged in, nobody from the target corp (that I knew of) was online, no members were in system, and the POS was still lacking a forcefield. I warped a cheap Caracal in and started the wanton destruction. My loitering Occator pilot pried open the first container. 824m in datacores! I had been most concerned about recouping the costs of the dec but now I was wondering just how lucrative this new pastime could be.

It was like unwrapping presents - you never know what is wrapped in that shiny cargo container! Fuel blocks, datacores, materials, ore! The total haul was 3.5 b:

2 x Caldari Fuel Block Blueprint (10/20)
15,366 x Caldari Fuel Block
73,353 Coolant
18,333 assorted Datacores
51,272 Oxygen
7,435 Robotics
2,404,674 Tritanium

Oh yes, the irony of a Caldari Fuel Block-producing Caldari Control Tower running out of fuel was not lost on me.

Of course it is not always that lucrative. And scanning down loot piñatas (the technical term) is extremely tedious, made even worse by the fact that people who let their POS run out of fuel don't tend to care what is in them. Still, I'd be lying if I said it wasn't profitable.

The modules in the second POS I attacked were completely empty while the third dropped only 330 m. I felt faintly outraged that the owners hadn’t left more loot for me! Ridiculous, I know, but I wanted the destruction of all those modules to have a purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment