Thursday, March 12, 2015

A Maelstrom for tea, Incursus style

A Machariel in a plex. It is a pity I am still in highsec. But it was still worth investigating so Zappity warped in and went straight for the fat Large wrecks, having noticed that emptying these tends to raise the ire of the average mission runner. In this case, my worthy adversary pretended not to notice. So I destroyed his MTU:

MTU: http://eve.battleclinic.com/killboard/killmail.php?eid=45090839

I have to report that he did not like it. After briefly yellow-boxing me he warped out. I recognised the signs so I hung around, waiting for his return. You see, your average mission runner takes a while to warm up to the concept of PvP. You have to give them two things: time and just cause. He already had the just cause, watching helplessly as his hard-earned loot was STOLEN and only compounded by the assault on his farming machinery.

He returned soon after in a Maelstrom, evidently indignant at the loss of his pet and intent on revenge. But not quite so intent that he wanted to risk a Machariel. Well, never let it be said that Zappity is fussy. While a Machariel would have been very nice a Maelstrom is not to be snorted at, especially when you are in a humble Incursus.

He was actually quite sensible to start with. He knew about tracking and he knew that the safest place for him was a long way away. He walloped me hard from 100 km while I was loitering at a wreck so I switched on the burner and angled toward him while maintaining transversal. At about 60 km he activated his MJD to increase distance.

Hmm, tricky. But while he knew about the importance of range he had evidently forgotten about the minimum warp range, as well as the fact that I clearly needed a combat prober in order to find him in the first place. So by the time my cloaked Cheetah was on grid my Incursus was 170 km away. I landed right on top of him.

That was probably a brown trousers moment for him. We were just over 100 km from the NPC battleship fleet and able to concentrate on each other. He had a decent shield tank and a lot of drones. After I had finished killing them it became apparent that he could tank me with relative ease. I offered him a ransom: "50m and I'll let you go. Yarr!". He refused, telling me that he was not in a hurry and that this would go on for ages. Then he closed the chat. So, ransom offered and ransom refused. Oh well, for once I wasn't in a hurry either.

This is when he made his biggest mistake. He should have ignored me and concentrated on the NPC battleship fleet which was now only 50 km away. That would have been a stalemate, only resulting in my warping away in disgrace. I watched the NPCs gradually close on us, forgotten by their erstwhile attacker but intent on revenge.

By the time he understood his peril it was too late. The battleship fleet was under his guns at between 20 and 30 km and he was suddenly in low shield, helped along by my suddenly overheated blasters.

The chat flashed: "I sent your money!" Now, I am an honourable pirate who is bound in this regard by both my own sense of ethics and corp rules. Even though he had earlier formally declined I still checked the journal: 500,000. He tried to scam me! I sent it back, unwilling to be scorned in such a manner.

Armour! Hull! It was going quickly now! A panicked "I sent the full amount" appeared just before he exploded. I told him that he should not have tried to trick me and sent that back too. Let that be a lesson to him!

Maelstrom: http://eve.battleclinic.com/killboard/killmail.php?eid=45091604

Pod (just because): http://eve.battleclinic.com/killboard/killmail.php?eid=45091615

I chatted with him after and found out that he was a recently returned player. He was a good sort and I was happy to explain what happened to him. I also sent a chunk of ISK his way, despite protestations that I had earned the kill.

Yes, that is right. Zappity, the friendly Pirate. Unless you are mean like last week's victim who swore never to let me rest. And who I am waiting in vain to hear from, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment