Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Ratters, ratters everywhere

Ratters everywhere. And there's me forgetting to put the Expanded Probe Launcher on my Svipul. I had decided to test the waters in our new base and so put up a fleet ad and hopped on teamspeak. Before long I had a couple of partners in crime and we were winging our way through Scalding Pass in destroyers, hunting for victims.

I checked dotlan and linked us toward a couple of bearish looking systems. We were chased out of the first one we arrived at with some hard-counter ships to whom we lost our Catalyst. Our hasty retreat meant that I landed in the waiting arms of a Hecate on a gate. He redboxed and I ordered us to open fire. We killed him very quickly. I think he may have forgotten to switch to defense mode, just like someone else who shall not be named.

Hecate: http://eve.battleclinic.com/killboard/killmail.php?eid=48805888

A few snide comments were left in local at our passing. We were distinctly unwelcome in the ratting systems. Honestly, what do these ratters expect? To be left alone in peace? Disgraceful! At the next ratting system we were greeted by a Rupture who warped to me at 50km. I figured he was artillery fit and so spiralled in on him with an overheated MWD. He died very quickly, especially when Thane decloaked his Stealth Bomber and started getting his volleys off.

Rupture: http://eve.battleclinic.com/killboard/killmail.php?eid=48806124

Ha! We died less than they did! OP success for the first fleet I have ever led.

I logged in later in the day and saw one of the Stay Frosty directors talking about a Pirate Detection Array. Apparently our system did not yet have a high enough Military Index for this particular thingy to be installed somewhere or other. I felt it my civic duty to assist and therefore did a quick run to Amarr to pick up a few Ishtar and Gila hulls.

On the way, I played around with some fits (admittedly under the guiding light of the killboards of the undisputed ratting masters in Deklein) and arrived at the following:

[Ishtar, Angels Ishtar v1]

Capacitor Flux Coil II
Capacitor Flux Coil II
Drone Damage Amplifier II
Drone Damage Amplifier II
Drone Damage Amplifier II
Drone Damage Amplifier II

Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
Pith B-Type Explosive Deflection Field
Pith X-Type Large Shield Booster
Omnidirectional Tracking Link II

[Empty High slot]
[Empty High slot]
[Empty High slot]
[Empty High slot]

Medium Capacitor Control Circuit II
Medium Capacitor Control Circuit II

Hornet EC-300 x5
Berserker II x5

The B-type is only 4m but the X-type is over 100m. You can swap the active Pith B-Type Explosive Deflection Field for a passive Pithum C-Type Explosive Deflection Amplifier (under 1m ISK) if you want to swap to T1 rigs.

This will drop your Explosive resist from 85.0% to 81.4%. Both variants are cap stable at ~38%. Other resists are EM 30.0%, Thermal 72.0%, Kinetic 89.5%.

This fit does 636 DPS with the heavy Berserkers which deal Explosive damage for Angels. If you use the expensive (20m each) Augmented variety you get 700 dps. The drone control range is about 80 km but the tank does not rely on speed or range. Just warp, align out and let the drones do their work while cycling all the things.

It was truly boring. But it was, admittedly, somewhat relaxing and cathartic after the stress (albeit enjoyable) of a PvP roam. I did an Angel Port (whatever that is) and then a Hidden Something-or-Other and was halfway through a Forsaken Whatsit when a neutral entered the system. A neutral! In our home system! The hide of it!

I checked d-scan and saw a Taranis who was no doubt greedily eyeing my Ishtar with evil stirring in his heart. I aligned out and collected my drones before warping to the station via a safe.

Yamir Ke’Shark, the aforementioned piratical specimen from Agony, told me that he would not have tried to kill my Ishtar in his Taranis. I chose to disbelieve him, knowing that I myself would have done exactly that although I happily acknowledged that I would almost certainly have died in the process. He then teased me about carebearing!

Ha! Me, a carebear! All I was doing was ratting in an anomaly with an AFKtar! For all he knew it could have been a trap. Anyway, why can't they all just leave us alone to rat in peace? Disgraceful!

Unfortunately, I decided to stay docked in order to have dinner and was therefore absent when the alliance's honour was upheld by two persistent corpies who tracked the blackguard down and killed him just a few jumps later. Innocent Scout, cloaked, observed his pod enter the Thera wormhole from whence he evidently came with enormous satisfaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment